CFROG is hiring! We need a fabulous Community Organizer
Come help us improve air quality across Ventura County.
Deadline to apply: 5:00pm Monday, September 17
Entry level position, Bilingual Community Organizer – This is a great opportunity to learn grassroots organizing with a Ventura County based environmental watchdog organization focused on oil and gas extraction and related activities. The Community Organizer position will be fundamental to the execution of a state grant funded program working with members of the public, primarily in environmental justice communities. The organizer will identify and support community leaders and neighborhood scientists in forming Community Air Action Teams in West Ventura and Oxnard. The organizer will plan and promote community meetings and trainings in the use of hand held air monitors to gather open sourced data regarding air quality, which will ultimately be used in the development of local policies leading to improved air quality at the neighborhood level.
The Organizer will work closely with Executive director to build engagement and participation in program, set/plan/facilitate meetings/trainings and canvassing, build partnerships with organizations and agencies, coordinated volunteer recruitment, neighborhood organizing and other program participant leadership development events.
ORGANIZATION: Citizens For Responsible Oil & Gas (CFROG), a 501c3 nonprofit organization.
POSITION LEVEL: Entry level, 24-30 hours per week
beginning September 26, 2018. Must be able to travel to training first week of October.
REPORTING STRUCTURE: Reports to CFROG Executive Director
DESCRIPTION: The Community Organizer will utilize strategic community building and organizing techniques to engage the following neighborhood stakeholders for purposes of neighborhood improvement: residents, property and business owners, police department, government staff, elected officials, church leaders, service providers, nonprofit and for-profit entities, teachers, principals and students.
The organizer will: Serve as liaison to stakeholders and neighborhood actors in community organizing activities. Advocate for the best interests of the program communities regarding air quality impacts to public health. Represent CFROG at appropriate meetings, presentations and community events, as needed. Collaboratively develop and implement time specific plans to resolve identified community issues and concerns around air quality. Work with the Ventura County Air Pollution Control District (a program partner) to maintain collaboration and open communications. Seek out and identify new neighborhood volunteers, leaders and advocates to participate in the program. Assist with the creation and distribution of communications on CFROG activities and issues, including website and newsletters that focus on the program. Build knowledge of appropriate community services and resources to make appropriate referrals for residents. Contribute to maintenance of CFROG calendar of events, organizational databases, and all records and reports for CFROG, community stakeholders, and funders, and other tasks or duties as assigned.
This position will be based in CFROG’s office, located in Santa Paula, CA.
- Bachelor’s degree completed or in progress in social science, community development, environmental science, or other applicable field, or one year of relevant professional experience in community organizing, which demonstrates ability and capacity for duties.
- Bilingual/Bi-literate – English/Spanish.
- Group facilitation skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal.
- Comfortable speaking in public.
- The ability to maintain professional demeanor at all times.
- Good analytical, negotiation, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong time and task management skills.
- Genuine commitment and sensitivity to residents and community issues.
- Respect for economic and cultural diversity, experience working with diverse groups of people.
- Highly motivated and independent, yet team-oriented.
- Must be able to work some week-ends and evenings and have reliable transportation.
- Computer and other standard office equipment skills sufficient to prepare flyers and other communications, maintain databases, email, and website posting.
- Familiar with Oxnard & West Ventura communities
- Comfortable on MAC, MS Office, and various social media platforms.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary is $17 - $19.00 per hr., mileage and holidays.
TO APPLY: No later than 5pm, Mon. September 17, 2018: Please send the following via email to ed@CFROG.org-
- cover letter
- 200-500 word writing sample
- three professional references (upon request) to:
- Kimberly Rivers, CFROG Executive Director, ED@CFROG.org.
- In subject line of email write: Applying for Community Organizer Position. Interviews will be held starting September 18, 2018 and the successful applicant will be asked to begin work on September 26, 2018.
- Note: training, requiring travel (air travel, fully paid) is from Sept. 30 – Oct 5.
CFROG is a 501c3 nonprofit organization whose mission is to protect local communities, wild places and open spaces from the negative impacts of oil and gas extraction and related activities. Please review our website www.CFROG.org for further information. CFROG is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender identity, sexual orientation, race or religion.