Current Projects, March/April 2018:
What are the impacts of 79 new oil wells on the Oxnard Plain?
NO more oil waste injection in the Sespe!
Our county needs a green, healthy and forward thinking approach when it comes to oil and gas permitting over the next twenty years. CFROG is working to ensure that happens in the current VC General Plan Update.
#ProtectOurCoast - Comment By March 9.
Superior Court finds Ventura County violated state law!
#CFROG Enforces CEQA
On November 14, 2017 Hon. Glen M. Reiser of Ventura County Superior Court issued an order instructing Ventura County to nullify the approval of an oil and gas project in the Upper Ojai Valley because the way the county processed it - without proper air emissions analysis or full consideration of public safety impacts of oil tanker trucks on Koenigstein Road - violates the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
Project Status: County has postponed the Board of Supervisors hearing for another 4-6 weeks (Feb. 2018) Stay tuned.
-On Sept. 7 the VC Planning Commission voted to approve the project as is. We applaud Commissioner Nora Aidukas for her no vote and Commissioner Phil White for his attempt to add a permit condition that would have helped reduce emissions.
CFROG is partnered with Food & Water Watch in our appeal of an oil and gas project at Etting & Dodge Roads in Oxnard. On April 13, 2017 partners CFROG and Food & Water Watch appealed a project approved by the Ventura County Planning Director that adds more oil and gas wells to a location without studying how an increase in truck traffic, emissions from more oil wells and other factors will impact residents, students at local schools, and farm workers in the area.
Stay tuned !
#Enforcing CEQA in VC -
CFROG is ensuring that when Ventura County approves an oil and gas project it is complying with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) - including parts of the law that require impacts to public health, air, water and endangered species be studied and considered.
CFROG digs into project applications, historic land use permit documents to find errors, violations, inconsistencies and gaps in oversight. When appropriate we submit comments, file appeals and ultimately may take legal action.
CFROG is reviewing a new application -
*August 2017 Status: The City of Ojai has filed an appeal of this project. CFROG is providing informational and outreach support. We applaud the city for taking seriously its duty to protect public health.
CFROG has filed an appeal -
1. Renaissance Petroleum Expansion - Oxnard - see info above about Environmental Justice in Oxnard. RSVP to the September 7 Planning Commission hearing.
CFROG currently has two active CEQA lawsuits in Ventura County -
Issues CFROG is Monitoring In Ventura County:
- Fracking onshore and offshore.
- Aging oil and gas infrastructure
- Unmapped pipelines/pipeline maintenance
- Rincon Island
- Ongoing investigation of Los Angeles Regional Water Board.
- Idle wells
- abandoned/orphaned wells
Since 2013 CFROG has worked for clean air and water for all in Ventura County. Our program areas include:
- Working for Environmental Justice
- Advocating for responsible and forward thinking land use planning and policies
- Advocating for transparency and accuracy in the oil and gas permitting process
- Ensuring the public interest is represented during the oil and gas permitting process
- Educating the public and local decision makers about the impacts of oil and gas activity on our air and water.
- Monitoring oil and gas regulators
- Monitoring the enforcement of land use permit conditions.
Past Actions & Victories:
Since 2013 CFROG has appealed seven oil and gas project that were approved by Ventura County.